Friday, May 21, 2010

Paper Accordian Flowers Tutorial

Today I am going to show you how to make this really cute accordian flower.  I really like this because you can easily coordinate it with the papers in your layout plus it adds so much dimension.

Find the paper you wish to make into a flower and cut a strip. Mine was about 7 inches long and 1/2" wide. Try different lengths and widths for whatever size flower you want. Take your strip and begin folding back and forth with your fingers to make pleats. You may also choose to score the pleats.  My strip is 1/2" wide and the pleats are approx. 1/4" (I wanted a smaller flower). Don't worry if the pleats don't line up exactly; close enough is good. You won't be able to tell once you make the flower.

Click to Enlarge Paper Strip
Click to Enlarge Folded Pleating
Click to Enlarge Pleating
Next, you'll want to run a needle and thread through one side of the pleats. I wasn't smart when I first did this and I had a heck of a time threading the needle through each paper pleat.  If you have a small hole punch, punch holes in the paper first and then run the thread through.  
Glue the first pleat over the last, form the flower, tie the thread and voila! You have an accordian flower.

You may also consider using a decorative border punch to add flair to the flower.  Just punch one edge of the strip prior to pleating and proceed from there. You can also just cut strips and pleat those and use them as a decorative border or faux ribbon instead of making a flower.

I'll be posting the layout for this later today or tomorrow at the latest.  I can't wait to show this one off!

No comments: